Why Me?
10:29
Friday, August 22, 2008

As a student in my Honours Year as well as a future teacher, I will be required to communicate in various situations and with various audiences. Effective communication skills are required for me to convince my course mates and professors of the merits of my research as well as impart knowledge to my future students. I have identified and shall elaborate on a few concepts that I feel are most relevant to me.

A good understanding of communication networks and channels is important to me as the Honours project presentations are face to face. By circulating hard copy handouts including the important facts and figures, I can help the audience understand and follow my presentation, making it more engaging.

Nonverbal communication cues can be used to convey the right attitude during my presentations and when I am teaching. These include dressing appropriately, using appropriate gestures and maintaining eye contact with the entire audience. This ensures that I showcase a positive attitude and create a good impression on my audience.

Building interpersonal communication skills and fostering intercultural communication are also vital. I would show empathy and respect for my audience by using the right tone and language in the appropriate situations. In consideration of non-Singaporeans in my audience, I would be careful to use Standard English and clarify if I am not understood. This is also relevant in my future career as I would be interacting with a variety of students.

Understanding the need for me communicate effectively is only the first step. Learning about communication tools and applying these concepts, as well as making new friends along the way, will be my aim for this module. Armed with these tools and networks, I feel better prepared to embark on this very important year and my future career.

Labels:



Zhiyi
We can work things out.